Following a successful UK and Irish cinema release courtesy of BFI Distribution, writer and director Dionne Edwards‘ critically acclaimed debut feature, PRETTY RED DRESS, will now be released on BFI Blu-ray and BFI Player as a Subscription Exclusive on 7 August 2023.
The film features breakthrough performances from Natey Jones and newcomer Temilola Olatunbosun, alongside Alexandra Burke in her first film role.
Travis has just been released from prison and it quickly becomes apparent that everything has changed while he’s been gone. While girlfriend Candice is on the up and auditioning to star in a musical, teenage daughter Kenisha is struggling in school and her relationship with her mum is tense. When Travis buys Candice her dream dress for an audition, rather than smoothing over the family’s problems, it ends up creating even more… As secrets and desires left unsaid threaten to spill out, Travis is forced to re-examine who he is and how he wants to be perceived in the world.
- Presented in High Definition
- Audio commentary by writer and director Dionne Edwards and producer Georgia Goggin
- Pretty Red Dress Q&A (2023, 23 mins): Dionne Edwards, Georgia Goggin and cast members Temilola Olatunbosun, Natey Jones and Alexandra Burke discuss Pretty Red Dress with Caleb Femi
- Dressing Up (2023, 14 mins): Dionne Edwards looks back on Pretty Red Dress discussing some of its themes and influences
- Picking Up the Thread (2023, 27 mins): Georgia Goggin recounts the production history of Pretty Red Dress
- Starting a Conversation (2022, 3 mins): choreographer and movement director Johannes Radebe discusses his role on the film
- Sundance Directors Lab scenes (2019, 8 mins): during the Sundance Directors Lab Dionne Edwards shot scenes from Pretty Red Dress with actors Eric Kofi Abrefa, Riann Steele and Aria Harrell taking the lead roles
- We Love Moses (2016, 16 mins): award-winning short film by Dionne Edwards
- ***First pressing only*** illustrated booklet containing a Director’s Statement, Making Pretty Red Dress Diary Extracts by producer Georgia Goggin, the Sight and Sound review by Ben Walters, notes on the special features and film credits
UK | 2022 | Colour | 110 minutes | English language with optional descriptive subtitles and audio description | original aspect ratio 1.85:1 | BD50: 1080p, 24fps, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio and PCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit)