The Criterion Collection has announced the release of PASOLINI 101, a major new 9-film tribute to the Italian iconoclast Pier Paolo Pasolini, one of the most original and controversial filmmakers of the 20th century, which will available in a Special Edition Blu-ray Collector’s Set on 27 June 2023.
Released in celebration of the 101st anniversary of Pasolini’s birth, this collector’s set provides an essential window onto a transformative period for an artist whose legacy remains a wellspring of freedom and revolutionary force.
Including nine provocative, lyrical, often scandal-inducing films from the 1960s — Accattone, Mamma Roma, Love Meetings, The Gospel According to Matthew, The Hawks and the Sparrows, Oedipus Rex, Teorema, Porcile, and Medea — the decade in which this celebrated poet, novelist, and intellectual embarked on a feature filmmaking career, PASOLINI 101 is a monument to the artist’s daring vision of cinema.
NINE-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR’S SET FEATURES:
- New 4K digital restorations of seven films and 2K digital restorations of Teorema and Medea, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
- Two shorts made by director Pier Paolo Pasolini for anthology films: La ricotta (1963) and The Sequence of the Paper Flower (1969)
- Two documentaries made by Pasolini during his travels
- New program on Pasolini’s visual style as told through his personal writing, narrated by actor Tilda Swinton and writer Rachel Kushner
- Audio commentaries on Accattone and Teorema
- Documentaries on Pasolini’s life and career featuring archival interviews with the director and his close collaborators
- Episode from 1966 of the French television program Cinéastes de notre temps
- Interviews with filmmakers and scholars
- New English subtitle translations
- PLUS: Deluxe packaging, including a 100-page book featuring an essay and notes on the films by critic James Quandt, and writings and drawings by Pasolini