On 22nd October 1960, Anthony Newley crashed through the fourth wall in his weird and wonderful ATV television series, The Strange World of Gurney Slade.
To celebrate the show’s 60th Anniversary, all six episodes have now been restored in HD from the original 35mm film elements and will be released in a Limited Edition Blu-ray set, packed full of rare special features, on 30th November 2020, exclusively from networkonair.com.
This brilliantly inventive and startlingly surreal comedy was unlike anything previously seen on television. Audiences were flabbergasted to see this star on the rise in such an experimental series that deconstructed the fledgling sitcom genre and provided a platform for Newley’s unique stream of consciousness.
The series saw Anthony Newley star as an actor who walks off the set of a banal sit-com and into a fantasy world of his own imagination in a dreamlike odyssey through one man’s personal alternative reality. Talking to dogs, rocks and fairies, and dancing with vacuum cleaners, it is an unpredictable, absurdist fantasy created by Newley and written by comedy legends Sid Green and Dick Hills (soon to become key writers for Morecambe and Wise).
The series features British stalwarts including Una Stubbs, Anneke Wills, Geoffrey Palmer and Bernie Winters.
– Three Saturday Spectacular shows from 1960 featuring Anthony Newley alongside Shirley Bassey, Peter Sellers, Janette Scott, Lionel Blair and others. These variety specials feature Newley’s initial attempts at building the “internal monologue character” that would eventually become Gurney Slade.
– Original Gurney Slade promotional shorts
– Extensive image galleries
– The Small World of Sammy Lee: The classic 1963 British crime film starring Anthony Newley
– The Small World of Sammy Lee special features: newly discovered archive film material featuring an alternative ending, textless titles and a promotional interview with Anthony Newley
– Commemorative booklet with contributions from Andrew Pixley, Dick Fiddy and Andrew Roberts
– Free streaming of the series’ six episodes from today only when you buy the limited-edition Blu-ray set