The classic British comedy LAUGHTER IN PARADISE, starring the great Alastair Sim, is available now on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital in a brand new restoration courtesy of Studiocanal‘s Vintage Classics collection.
Directed by Mario Zampi (Mr. Potts Goes to Moscow) and co-written by Jack Davies (Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines) and Michael Pertwee (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), this enormously entertaining black comedy co-stars George Cole, Fay Compton, Guy Middleton and Hugh Griffith, as well as an extremely early appearance from a young Audrey Hepburn.
The four remaining relatives of famed practical joker Henry Russell are brought together to hear his last will and testament, revealing a £50,000 inheritance for each of them, if they can complete a set task that is completely at odds with their character. The assignments are designed to reflect their greatest shortcomings and test their ability to adapt, and ultimately change for the better.
Law-abiding retired army officer Deniston (Sim) secretly writes scandalous novels, until he is given a week to get himself arrested for an actual crime and jailed for exactly 28 days. Haughty Agnes (Compton) must find employment as a housekeeper in a middle-class home and retain her position for a month despite her disdain. Simon (Middleton), a penniless womanising rogue, has to marry the first single woman he speaks to, such as the cigarette girl at the club he frequents (Hepburn). Finally, timid Herbert (Cole) needs to hold up the bank manager he works for with a mask and a toy pistol. What could possibly go wrong?
***** To enter, fill out the form with ‘Sim’ in the subject line, including your full name, email address and contact number. *****
Please Note: Due to some competition entry issues from forum click-throughs, please ensure you refresh this page before completing the form.
Competition closes on Monday 20th July 2020!
Winners will be notified by email!
Best of luck!
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please Note: Automated/bulk entries and entries from third parties are not permitted and will be deleted immediately!
– The winner(s) will be drawn at random from all the correct entries, and only they will be contacted personally. Prize must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash alternatives.
– The Arts Shelf does not accept any responsibility for late or lost entries due to the Internet or email problems. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. Entrants must supply full details as required on the competition page, and comply with all rules to be eligible for the prizes.
– No responsibility is accepted for ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently.
– The Arts Shelf reserves the right to cancel the competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
– Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering this competition.
– The competition winner(s) ONLY will be contacted – if successful – to confirm a prize win, after which time all entrant data will be deleted and no records of winners or entrants will be kept on file or stored in any form.
– UK entries only