Eureka Entertainment will release Paul Wegener and Carl Boese’s silent horror classic, DER GOLEM, on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK as part of The Masters of Cinema Series on 18 November 2019.
DER GOLEM is presented in 1080p from a stunning 4K digital restoration of the original film negatives, completed by FWMS in 2017.
In the Jewish ghetto in 16th century Prague, Rabbi Low (Albert Streinruck) creates a forbidding clay Golem (played by director Paul Wegener) to protect his people from the tyrannical Emperor Luhois (Otto Gebuhr). Brought to life with a demon spirit and an amulet placed in the centre of the creature’s chest, the Golem is a seemingly indestructible juggernaut, performing acts of great heroism. But when the Rabbi’s assistant attempts to control the Golem for selfish gain, it becomes a terrifying force of destruction, rampaging through the ghetto leaving fire and death in its wake.
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase (First 2000 copies)
- Presented in 1080p from a stunning 4K digital restoration of the original film negatives, completed by FWMS in 2017
- Original German intertitles with optional English subtitles
- Option of THREE fantastic and unique scores, by composer Stephen Horne; acclaimed electronic music producer Wudec; and musician and film-score composer Admir Shkurtaj
- Brand new and exclusive audio commentary by Scott Harrison
- Brand new and exclusive video essay by critic David Cairns
- Brand new and exclusive video essay by filmmaker Jon Spira (Elstree 1976)
- The Golem [60 mins]– The US version of the film, also fully restored, and featuring a score by Cordula Heth
- A video piece highlighting the differences between the domestic and export negatives of the film [22 mins]
- PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Scott Harrison; and reprints of illustrations from the original 1915 novel