Studiocanal‘s brand new 4K restorations of Jean Cocteau‘s influential classics, The Blood of a Poet (Le sang d’un poète) and The Testament of Orpheus (Le testament d’Orphée), are available to own now on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download as part of Studiocanal’s Vintage World Cinema Collection.
To celebrate the release of these avant-garde masterpieces, we have 2 x Blu-ray Bundles* to give away to our readers!
These two films, from one of cinema’s most influential artists, were made thirty years apart, and bookend Cocteau’s filmic career.
Made in 1932, the first part of the ‘Orphic’ trilogy LE SANG D’UN POÊTE, seeks to explore the feelings within a poet’s heart and soul, beginning in an artist’s studio where an unfinished statue comes to life. The lips of its androgynous face move, pressing a kiss to the artist’s hand. At the statues demand, he plunges it into a mirror.
In his last film LE TESTAMENT D’ORPHÉE (1960), Cocteau created a truly abstract piece of work as his swansong. He himself portrays an 18th century poet who travels through time on a quest for divine wisdom. In a mysterious, possibly post-apocalyptic wasteland, he has a series of enigmatic and surreal encounters with symbolic phantoms with whom he muses about the nature of art and his own career. With an eclectic cast that includes cameos from Pablo Picasso, Jean Marais, Brigitte Bardot, Charles Aznavour, Roger Vadim and Yul Brenner, LE TESTAMENT D’ORPHÉE brings full circle the journey Cocteau began in LE SANG D’UN POÊTE – an exploration of the tortuous relationship between the artist and his creations.
***** To enter, fill out the form with ‘Cocteau’ in the subject line, including your full name, email and contact number. *****
Please Note: Due to some competition entry issues from forum click throughs, please ensure you refresh this page before completing the form.
Competition closes on Tuesday 20th August 2019
Winners will be notified by phone/email
Best of luck!
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please Note: Automated/bulk entries and entries from third parties are not permitted and will be deleted immediately!
– The winner(s) will be drawn at random from all the correct entries, and only they will be contacted personally. Prize must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash alternatives.
– The Arts Shelf does not accept any responsibility for late or lost entries due to the Internet or email problems. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. Entrants must supply full details as required on the competition page, and comply with all rules to be eligible for the prizes.
– No responsibility is accepted for ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently.
– The Arts Shelf reserves the right to cancel the competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
– Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering this competition.
– The competition winner(s) ONLY will be contacted – if successful – to confirm a prize win, after which time all entrant data will be deleted and no records of winners or entrants will be kept on file or stored in any form.
Each bundle includes 1 x Blu-ray copy of The Blood of a Poet and 1 x Blu-ray copy of The Testament of Orpheus.