Studiocanal has today released a brand new trailer and quad poster for the stunning new 40th Anniversary 4K Restoration of Michael Cimino’s epic, Academy Award-winning masterpiece, The Deer Hunter, which will be released on EST, Blu-ray and Collector’s Edition Blu-ray on 20 August, and on 4K Ultra HD on 15 October 2018.
Park Circus will also showcase a ‘one day only’ theatrical release of the film in cinemas on 4 July 2018, to coincide with America’s Independence Day.
Widely acknowledged as one of cinema’s great masterpieces, Michael Cimino’s ambitious and daring film paints a sobering portrait of a small Pennsylvania steel town rocked by loss when three of its sons go off to fight in Vietnam.
When Michael (Robert De Niro), Steven (John Savage) and Nick (Christopher Walken) are captured by the Vietcong, they are forced to play Russian Roulette by their brutal captors, who make bets on their survival. The experience of capture leaves them with terrible physical and spiritual wounds, and when Michael returns to Saigon to fulfil an old promise to one of his friends, he makes an unexpected, horrific discovery.
The film also features astonishing performances from Meryl Streep as the woman both Michael and Nick fall in love with, and John Cazale as their unhinged and insecure friend Stan.
For the 40th Anniversary restoration of The Deer Hunter, Studiocanal went back to the original 35mm negative, which was scanned at 4K resolution in 16bit.
The restoration was completed at Silver Salt in London, who created a restored 4K DCP and UHD version for the home entertainment release.
The 2-disc Blu-ray will include the feature and the following extras:
- New Interview with critic and author David Thomson
- 1979 ITV South Bank Show Interview with Michael Cimino
- Intro by Mickey Rourke
- Realising the Deer Hunter – interview with Michael Cimino
- Shooting the Deer Hunter – interview with Vilmos Zsigmond
- Playing the Deer Hunter – interview with John Savage
- Michael Cimino Audio commentary
- Vilmos Zsigmond & journalist Bob Fisher audio commentary
- Deleted and extended scenes (incl. Russian Roulette)
The Collector’s Edition (4 discs) will include the two Blu-ray discs as above, a first ever 4K Ultra HD and the original soundtrack PLUS:
- A 64-page booklet which includes material written by Jay Glennie and adapted from his forthcoming numbered limited edition large format book ‘One Shot: The Making of The Deer Hunter’, a new essay from David Jenkins, Editor of Little White Lies and pages from the original 1978 press book
- A 72-page script of early incarnation of the script entitled ‘The Man Who Came to Play’ by Louis Garfinkle and Quinn K. Redeker
- X 5 Artcards