The Criterion Collection and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have today confirmed the two Criterion UK Blu-ray releases for June 2018.
MISHIMA: A LIFE IN FOUR CHAPTERS
A Film By Paul Schrader
Release Date: 11 June, 2018
UNITED STATES | 1985 | 120 MINUTES | COLOUR, BLACK AND WHITE | 1.85:1 | JAPANESE
First up is Paul Schrader‘s dazzlingly unconventional biopic, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, a visually stunning, collage-like portrait of the acclaimed Japanese author and playwright Yukio Mishima (portrayed by Ken Ogata).
The film seems Schrader investigate the inner turmoil and contradictions of a man who attempted the impossible task of finding harmony among self, art, and society. Taking place on Mishima’s last day, when he famously committed public seppuku, the film is punctuated by extended flashbacks to the writer’s life as well as by gloriously stylized evocations of his fictional works.
Mishima is notable for its rich cinematography by John Bailey, bold sets and costumes by Eiko Ishioka, and celebrated, influential score from Philip Glass.
Director Approved Special Features:
- New, restored 4K digital transfer of the director’s cut, supervised and approved by director Paul Schrader and cinematographer John Bailey, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
- Two optional English narrations, including one by actor Roy Scheider
- Audio commentary from 2008 featuring Schrader and producer Alan Poul
- Interviews from 2007 and 2008 with Bailey, producers Tom Luddy and Mata Yamamoto, composer Philip Glass, and production designer Eiko Ishioka
- Interviews from 2008 with Mishima biographer John Nathan and friend Donald Richie
- Audio interview from 2008 with co-screenwriter Chieko Schrader
- Interview excerpt from 1966 featuring Mishima talking about writing
- The Strange Case of Yukio Mishima, a 55-minute documentary from 1985 about the author
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kevin Jackson, a piece on the film’s censorship in Japan, and photographs of Ishioka’s sets
THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU
A Film By Wes Anderson
Release Date: 25 June, 2018
UNITED STATES | 2004 | 118 MINUTES | COLOUR | 2.35:1 | ENGLISH
Secondly, Wes Anderson‘s wildly original adventure comedy, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, joins the Criterion UK line-up, presented from a newly restored digital transfer, approved by Anderson himself.
The film sees internationally famous oceanographer Steve Zissou (Murray) and his crew—Team Zissou—set sail on an expedition to hunt down the mysterious, elusive, possibly non-existent Jaguar Shark that killed Zissou’s partner during the documentary filming of their latest adventure.
The film stars Bill Murray as the eponymous Steve Zissou, alongside an ensemble cast including Cate Blanchett, Willem Dafoe, Michael Gambon, Jeff Goldblum, Anjelica Huston, Owen Wilson, Seu Jorge, and Bud Cort.
Director Approved Special Features:
- New, restored digital transfer, approved by director Wes Anderson, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
- Commentary by Anderson and cowriter Noah Baumbach
- New interviews with actors Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, and Jeff Goldblum
- This Is an Adventure, a documentary by Antonio Ferrera, Albert Maysles, and Matthew Prinzing chronicling the production of the movie
- Mondo Monda, an Italian talk show featuring an interview with Anderson and Baumbach, hosted by Antonio Monda
- Interview with composer and Devo member Mark Mothersbaugh
- Ten performances of David Bowie songs in Portuguese by Brazilian recording artist and actor Seu Jorge
- Intern video journal by actor Matthew Gray Gubler
- Multiple interviews with the cast and crew, featuring behind-the-scenes footage
- Making-of featurette
- Nine deleted scenes
- Behind-the-scenes photos and original artwork from the film
PLUS: An insert featuring a cutaway view of The Belafonte, the ship from the film, Eric Anderson’s original illustrations, and a conversation between Wes and Eric conducted in 2005