Eureka Entertainment are set to release the newly restored director’s cut of King Hu‘s epic fantasy-horror masterpiece, LEGEND OF THE MOUNTAIN, in a definitive Dual Format Edition on 19 March 2018, as part of The Masters of Cinema Series.
A young scholar, Ho Yunqing (Shih Jun), is tasked by an eminent monk to transcribe a Buddhist sutra said to have immense power over the spirits of the afterlife.
To execute his work in peace, he travels to an isolated monastery deep in the mountains, where he encounters a number of strange people, including the mysterious and beautiful Melody (Hsu Feng).
As malicious spirits attempt to steal the sutra, Ho becomes entangled in a conflict between duelling forces of good and evil. Will he leave the mountain alive?
Adapted from a Song Dynasty folk tale, Legend of the Mountain exemplifies King Hu’s masterful command of spectacular visuals and philosophical insights into life and existence.
Heavily edited upon release, the film has now been fully restored to its original length in stunning 4K.
• Limited Edition O-Card (2000 units) – first print run only
• 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray, with a progressive encode on the DVD
• Uncompressed LPCM mono audio
• Newly translated English subtitles
• A new video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns
• A new interview with Asian cinema expert Tony Rayns
• A collector’s booklet featuring an abundance of archival writing and imagery