Eureka Entertainment are set to release a new 2K restoration of Carl Th. Dreyer’s silent gem, MICHAEL, in a world exclusive Blu-ray edition on 12 February 2018.
Scripted by Dreyer and Thea von Harbou, the film stars Benjamin Christensen, Walter Slezak, Nora Gregor, Mady Christians and Karl Freund.
Based on Herman Bang’s 1902 novel of the same name, MICHAEL is a fascinating fin-de-siècle study of a decadent elderly artist (Christensen) driven to despair by his relationship with his young protégé and former model, Michael (Slezak).
With suffocatingly sumptuous production design by renowned architect Hugo Häring, this Kammerspiel foreshadows Dreyer’s magnificent final film, Gertrud, by forty years with its “Now I may die content, for I have seen great love” epigraph.
- Stunning 1080p presentation from a new 2K restoration
- Score by Pierre Oser (piano, clarinet, cello) presented in uncompressed LPCM stereo
- Original German intertitles with optional English subtitles
- Full-length audio commentary by Dreyer scholar, Casper Tybjerg
- An exclusive video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns
- An illustrated audio interview with Dreyer from 1965
- A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp; a reprint of Tom Milne’s The World Inside Me from 1971; Jean Renoir’s 1968 tribute, Dreyer’s Sin; a translation of the original 1924 Danish programme; a reprint of Nick Wrigley’s essay from the film’s 80th anniversary DVD release; and a selection of archival images