BFI to kick off 2017 with major celebration of Martin Scorsese
The BFI today announces plans for a major focus on the films of Martin Scorsese during January and February 2017.
The season coincides with the highly anticipated release of SILENCE, the Award-Winning filmmaker’s historical epic, in cinemas 1 January 2017.
· BFI brings GOODFELLAS back to screens across the UK on 20 January in a glorious 4K restoration, in partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures International.
· Park Circus will release the 4K restoration of TAXI DRIVER on UK screens from 10 February including an extended run at BFI Southbank.
· Complete Martin Scorsese retrospective at BFI Southbank, including his new film SILENCE which will be released on 1 January. The season will also include a new 4K restoration of THE AGE OF INNOCENCE.
· Scorsese personally curates 20 films restored through The Film Foundation to play at BFI Southbank.
· BFI and Southbank Centre (as part of the Film Scores Live Series), presents, in association with Sony Pictures and Park Circus TAXI DRIVER IN CONCERT with the original Bernard Herrmann score performed live with the film by the BBC Concert Orchestra.
· WHO’S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR and ALICE DOESN’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE released on DVD/Blu-ray in BFI Dual Format Editions
· ‘Scorsese collection’ released on BFI Player, focusing on his documentary work and the great works of cinema that inspired him.
The focus will place Scorsese’s films back on the big screen where they deserve to be seen, offering younger audiences the chance to experience many of his films in the cinema for the first time, while allowing others to become reacquainted with this towering body of work.
Alongside the season, re-releases, events and BFI Player collection, audiences will also be able explore Scorsese’s work through dedicated articles in Sight & Sound, the BFI’s international film magazine.