A Film by Richard Loncraine
Starring Ian McKellen, Robert Downey Jr., Kristin Scott Thomas and Maggie Smith
Shakespeare’s classic play about the Machiavellian rise to power and subsequent short reign of King Richard III of England is updated to an alternative 1930s setting in this celebrated film adaptation. Shown in cinemas in April, as part of the many events marking 400 years since Shakespeare’s death, Richard III is released on DVD/Blu-ray in a Dual Format Edition by the BFI on 20 June 2016.
A brutal civil war has erupted in England with the Houses of Lancaster and York battling for control of the throne. Amid the turmoil, the despotic Richard, Duke of Gloucester (Ian McKellen) plots his own route to power, deviously scheming a murderous agenda that will lead to his installation as dictator monarch. Steeped in fascist iconography, the film openly draws from the aesthetic of the Third Reich, a stylistic choice that emphasises the pure evil at the heart of Richard’s agenda.
Adapted by Ian McKellen and Richard Loncraine from the National Theatre’s acclaimed stage production by Richard Eyre (which also starred McKellen), Richard III features an all-star cast, including Kristin Scott Thomas, Robert Downey Jr., Annette Bening, Maggie Smith, Jim Broadbent and Nigel Hawthorne.
- Newly remastered and presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
- New commentary by Ian McKellen and Richard Loncraine
- New trailer (2016)
- Play the Devil – Making Richard III (2016, 6 mins)
- Shakespeare on Stage, Screen and Elsewhere with Ian McKellen (2016, 79 mins)
- Ian McKellen and Richard Loncraine in Conversation (2016, 21 mins)
- Complete annotated screenplay with full credits (Downloadable PDF – DVD only)
- Illustrated booklet with an extensive essay by Ian McKellen