The critically acclaimed, nail-biting and gripping, Israeli psychological thriller Hostages was released on DVD and Digital Download on March 16th 2015 through Arrow Films.
Filmed on location in modern-day Jerusalem, the series aired on BBC Four’s coveted Saturday 9pm slot (the same prime time slot that played host to The Killing, Borgen, The Bridge, and Prisoners of War) for four weeks before the gripping series finale on Saturday March 14th.
The 10-part Israeli series is an intense, modern-day psychological crime-thriller that will leave viewers on the edge of their seat. A brilliant female surgeon, Dr. Yael Danon (played by Ayelet Zurer), discovers her family have been kidnapped the night before she is due to perform surgery on the Israeli Prime Minister. The hostage-holders have one demand: “Kill the PM on the operating table or her loved ones die.”
The tension lies in the contrast of two universally relatable themes – the choice between a very personal dilemma faced by everyday characters, and a greater moral issue of a wide-scale social and national conspiracy – which ultimately makes for addictive viewing.
The original Israeli series of Hostages was a massive hit in its native Israel, and follows the US adaptation that was shown on Channel 4 in 2014, starring Toni Collette and Dylan McDermott.
As we follow one woman’s battle to save both her family and the Prime Minister, we are taken on a thrilling and unexpected emotional journey where the key characters fight for survival and nothing is what it seems.
As the series builds to its climax, we gradually discover that each character is much more complex than we originally imagined. As we learn about the better sides of the criminals, we also unravel the dark truths behind what seemed to be the perfect Israeli family.
Slowly but surely special bonds start to form between family members and kidnappers, creating a new fabric of relationships. By the end of the first season the lines of distinction between right and wrong, and good and bad, have been completely blurred.
When events reach a surprising climax for the season finale, the characters and the viewers will finally realise that everything that has happened has all just been the tip of the iceberg.
The original Israeli series was produced by Chaim Sharir and written by Omri Givon and Rotem Shamir. It is distributed internationally by Armoza Formats.
Available Now (click image to buy):
To celebrate the release, we have 3 x DVD copies of the boxset to give away courtesy of our friends at Arrow Films.
To enter, fill out the following form with ‘Hostages’ in the subject line, including your full name, address and contact number.
(Due to some competition entry issues from forum click throughs, please ensure you refresh this page before completing the form.)
Competition closes on Tuesday 31st March, 2015
Winners will be notified by phone / email
Best of luck!
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please Note: Automated/bulk entries and entries from third parties are not permitted and will be deleted immediately!
– The winner(s) will be drawn at random from all the correct entries, and only they will be contacted personally. Prize must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash alternatives.
– The Arts Shelf does not accept any responsibility for late or lost entries due to the Internet or email problems. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. Entrants must supply full details as required on the competition page, and comply with all rules to be eligible for the prizes.
– No responsibility is accepted for ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently.
– The Arts Shelf reserves the right to cancel the competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
– Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering this competition.